Dr. Scott Powell is an accomplished Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon in Los Angeles, having completed over 15,000 orthopedic surgeries in his career. He is a Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the USC Keck School of Medicine, and Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
As an Orthopedic Surgery Expert Witness, Dr. Powell has completed more than 50 depositions, testified in 20 trials, and reviewed well over 100 orthopedic medical negligence cases. Dr. Powell provides detailed and timely expert witness reports for malpractice and personal injury lawyers. Available by email, phone or video conference.
- Undergraduate: Columbia College
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society)
- Internship: St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital
- Residency: Hospital for Joint Diseases/NYU
- Fellowship Training: Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic
- Board Certified: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Licensure: CA
- Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery: USC Keck School of Medicine
- View My CV
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (Board of Directors from 2009-2012) Served on the Education Committee, the Fellowship Committee, and the Program Committee.
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine having served on the Technology Committee and the Council of Delegates
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and is currently a member of the Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy Program Subcommittee
- Member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons and Twentieth Century Orthopedic Association.
- Served on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of United Cerebral Palsy. He is Chief of the Africa Section and Director of Resident Education of Operation Arthroscopy (a non-profit dedicated to using arthroscopy to build bridges to a world in need.)
- Served as Team Physician for the United States Soccer Federation Women’s National Team (2005 to 2015)
- Taught arthroscopic surgery to surgeons on six continents, from Chile, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Cuba, Egypt, Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Spain, Italy, England, Germany, India, China, Hong Kong and Australia.
- Elected to the Board of Directors of MusiCares and serves as Chair of the Health and Human Services Committee. (MusiCares is the charity arm of the Grammys that brings free medical care to musicians who cannot afford insurance.)
Dr. Scott Powell specializes in treatment of injuries to the shoulder, elbow, knee and ankle.
- ACL reconstruction
- Adipocyte (Fat) Derived Stem Cell injections for osteoarthritis
- Allograft (cadaver) cartilage implantation
- Arthroscopic repair of ligaments after shoulder dislocation (Bankart repair)
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic SLAP repair
- Autologous cartilage implantation (Carticel implantation)
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy
- Multiple knee ligament reconstruction (ACL, PCL, LCL, MCL)
- Partial or Total shoulder replacement
- Platelet rich plasma injections
- Reconstruction of damaged cartilage in the knee, elbow, shoulder and ankle
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder reconstruction
- Tennis elbow release
- Tommy John procedure
Dr. Powell attended Columbia College where he was one of the founding members of the rock and roll band, Sha Na Na. He performed with the group at the Woodstock Festival, Fillmore East and West, in Europe and Japan, on the syndicated television series, Sha Na Na, and in the movies Woodstock, Grease and Caddyshack. He left the band in 1980 and returned to Columbia to pursue a career in medicine.